Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Worst Book

3 friends and I recently started a book club. Since three of us four are law students, the rules are that the books have to be mindless and easy to read in a day or two. We meet every two weeks. Our first selection, The Sooterkin, turned out to be quite enjoyable. It actually gave us something to talk about. The book I chose is a whole other ball of wax. It's called Nevermind Nirvana, and it is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. I picked it because a friend of mine who never reads novels was half way through it on a recent visit to Portland. Thinking this was a sure fire sign that it met the requirements of being able to be read in a day, I figured it was perfect. Because the protagonist was a Gen-X former pseudo-rock star turned deputy prosecuter in Seattle, I thought it at least would be entertaining. Unfortunately, although it met our time constraint requirements, the protagonist was such a complete asshole, it made the book all but impossible to read. Within the first 25 pages he had "accidentally" statutory raped a waitress from McCormick & Schmicks. It only got worse from there. Whatever you do, do not read this book. About the only amusing thing about it is it's filled with references to bars and bands that every Northwesterner has been to and heard. But, this too just makes one furious that such a bastard frequented such places and listened to such music. My friends will no doubt retaliate against me for picking that book. I already know that in the pipeline is a Pirate, by Fabio--and yes, it has a Fabio cover.

1 Comments:

Blogger ClimbHiStayHi said...

You're my first real blog experince. Cool. Thanks.
-Joanna

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home