Sunday, July 03, 2005

How pitiful?

Those of you who know me, know that before I met my girlfriend I had been single for a long, long, long time. Not that it bothered me too much. I enjoyed the single life. (But, for the record, once I got the hang of it, I've been enjoying the relationship life very much.)

As a single person, you spend a lot of time alone--even if you have a lot of friends. That's just the nature of the beast. And to be happy, you don't let the fact that you are by yourself stop you from doing what you want to do. In fact, you try to embrace doing whatever you want whenever you want.

Why am I talking about this? Well, my girlfriend has been out of town for the last three and a half weeks, and I've been trying to keep a good attitude, keep busy, and not feel too lonely while she's been gone. I think I've been successful. But, I haven't been to the grocery store in weeks, which means I've been eating out pretty much every meal for the last week and a half. This is fine, but tonight I experienced something I haven't experienced in the year and a half we've been together: people's pity for me because I am dining alone.

Tonight I was eating at the Italian restaurant down the street. I had ordered myself a half liter of wine and some pasta, and had just cracked open the book my girlfriend got me for our anniversary (damn you lawschool!). All in all, I was pretty happy. Next to me was a large party--an entire extended family, undoubtedly getting together for the holiday weekend. Mom/Grandma took one look at me and said, "I'm sorry we don't have another chair, we'd invite you to join the family." I thanked her for her sentiment, but tried to tell her as convincingly as possible that I was fine where I was.

That's the thing--I was fine. It is ok to eat at a restaurant alone. It is ok to be alone sometimes. There is nothing wrong with me--is there?

Maybe I should just go to the grocery store so I don't have to subject others to my pathological solitariness. Don't want others to feel uncomfortable, you know.

4 Comments:

Blogger great sandwich! said...

yeah, i agree about the shows. that's hard, although i do it from time to time when i want to see a show that no one else does. the key is to try to seem cooler than everyone else. yeah, right, who am I kidding? the key is to get really drunk.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Introverts of the world unite!

Oh wait, then we'd be extroverts.

Says the girl who just enjoyed her own company and her paper over a lovely breakfast at her local cafe.

And went for a hike by herself yesterday.

I too however cannot handle shows on my own. Weird.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Scriptsaurus said...

Welcome back punkass.
I'm glad that kind of thing never happens to me. I exude some toxin i guess.

12:12 PM  
Blogger jkf said...

I want to like doing things by myself, but I'm not at all good at it. I'll rush a meal just to get out of a place, because, well I just bore myself, I think and I'm a homebody by nature.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home